Sunday 28 June 2009

Project 52 ... 20

Put your hands together for Father Chris... in prayer that is...
.
D200, Tamron 17 - 50 f2.8, SB 800, Vivitar 285
.
Father Chris is the local Parish Priest. A very caring and giving priest, he looks after two parishes with two churches, so his time is precious. I was delighted when he agreed to let me take his portrait.
.
This is the Altar of St Joseph's Church where we set everything up. Fr Chris could not have been more helpful; he suggested wearing his vestments, I wasn't sure if there might be Canon Law against wearing them for anything other than a mass, but he assured me otherwise! While he changed I set up my lights as you can see in the set up shot below.
.
.
I then stepped back and took a wide shot to include the strobes. The Vivitar 285 is to camera left with a gridspot on it aimed at the Crucifix and the SB 800 is to camera right with a softbox on it, positioned to illuminate the top half of Fr Chris and to taper off towards the floor.
.
Churches are serene and wonderful places. I enjoy photographing them in every way; the architecture is unique among all the architecture of the world. Indeed all places of worship are, whether its a standing stone, a temple or a church; they are all wonderful. Sometimes they are bright and airy, sometimes dark and moody. I like shadows and light together, I was looking for something in between.
.
That evening it was very sunny outside and the light streaming in was interfering with the optical trigger on the Vivitar 285, the SB 800 was fine with its SU 4 built-in superslave. I eventually got the shot I wanted and one that says to me this is Fr. Chris' church. I want to say a big thank you Fr. Chris for having patience with me that evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment