Thursday 25 June 2009

Project 52 ... 17

Here's Malcolm!
.
D200, Tamron 17 - 50 f2.8, Sb 800, Vivitar 285, Mains Flash.
.
This is Malcolm. Hiding under the table?; this is the table Christopher was standing on, here, not at the same time I might add...
.
In this shot I used an old Edison screw in flash head I picked up years ago and never used. I got a fantastic Ikea lamp shade in the shape of the old aluminium flash heads and Bob's your uncle. I placed a piece of white paper over it and placed it to camera left. The flash is manual and has one power setting, so you vary the intensity by distance / aperture / softening. To camera right and behind Malcolm is a gridded Vivitar 285 giving the rim light effect. An SB 800 is placed, bare bulb, in a cupboard behind him.
.
At first I didn't like the flare the SB 800 is giving off, but it has grown on me now. I could have modified the light by snooting it or putting a gobo on it to ensure the light didn't fall on the underside of the table. But I like it as it is.
.
And, no, Malcolm does not live under tables...

No comments:

Post a Comment