Thursday 2 July 2009

Project 52 ... 22

Meet Krzysztof. Krzysztof is an honest to goodness, living, breathing, Time Lord.

.

D200, Tamron 17 - 50 f2.8, available light

He tells me ...

'my job is to build and run the most accurate atomic clock to calibrate the unit of time of the UK and global time scale. As the unit of time (the second) is defined base on a period of characteristic oscillations in a caesium atom, I need to physically take some caesium, wiggle it with microwaves (a bit like in the m-w oven) of approximately known frequency and check if the atoms respond to the wiggle. They would only respond if m-w frequency is just right. Better even, I can tune that frequency so the atomic response is max. This gives me a frequency of accurately known value (the atoms are telling me what it is), which I can feed into a clock.'

Right. I have known Krzysztof for years and he is a well liked and respected member of the community. Someday he is going to show me around Krakow I hope. We met when our boys were in the same school - that's the time when you lose your identity and become someone's dad, we got on well form the start!


When I popped around to take his portrait, he asked me to include a clock that belonged to his Grandfather, which was perfect given his job! However, the clock was in a really dark corner of the house and try as I might, I could not light the clock and Krzysztof. So we retired to his conservatory and I did a multiple exposure in camera and it worked. I then added a few more of the clocks in photoshop afterwards. The tint is reminiscent of 'Alfred Steiglitz, 'Camera Work' photographs which I admire so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment