Tuesday 4 August 2009

Project 52 ... 28

This is Art Droid Ross...
.

D200, Tamron 17 - 50, f2.8, SB 800


I have known Ross for quite a while now. he is a local Artist, I should say a very gifted local artist. He can turn his hand to so many things from sculpture, drawings, restoration and I am sure many many more. I was delighted when he agreed to sit for a portrait. Naturally, it had to be in his studio. And what a studio! Surrounded by banks of wide screen monitors, electronic writing tablets, books (and a drawing board) it was an experience! I was overwhelmed. His artwork has graced the pages of magazines, comics and the film industry, and I like his way out futuristic style, he was also an Art Droid on 2000AD, a comic I was hooked on as a kid. You can see more of his work here.


There was a lot of mixed lighting in the studio - small low voltage lights in the ceiling, the monitor lights and daylight coming in through the door. I set the SB 800 with diffusion dome to camera left and set the camera's white balance for tungsten. I tweaked the final image white balance a bit.

What struck me as a huge coincidence is the disparity between this shot and the last of Roger, here, Ross uses a tablet to draw on the screen, Roger uses a drawing board.

Thanks Ross for giving me a glimpse into the life and studio of an amazing artist!

No comments:

Post a Comment