Sunday 20 October 2013

A Portrait of Ireland's greatest landscape photographer; Giles Norman

During the summer this year I spent a wonderful ten whole days back in the homeland; Ireland. We started off in Dublin where I saw an English Premier League side; Aston Villa play Shamrock Rovers. Bit of a forgone result, but a great day out. then on to Tralee in Kerry, then on to Kinsale.

Kinsale is a fishing village just outside Cork in Munster. A wonderful town, where my equally wonderful sister-in-law, Mary lives.

Everytime I go back there I always pop into Giles Norman's Gallery. For those of you who don't know him, he is a landscape photographer that produces amazing black and white images of rural Ireland (mainly). The images are evocative of times gone by. You can see his work here.


I have always wanted to take his portrait. This time when I visited the gallery, he was there. So I seized the opportunity. I asked and he readily agreed. A time was set for the next day; the Friday before I was leaving to return to the UK. As we had driven over, I had taken a light stand, umbrella and flash triggers. Most times they don't get any use. So, Friday came and I set up the gear and took the shot. No pressure. But I am told by Catherine, Giles' wife that the  photograph below now hangs in their kitchen.

A big thanks to Giles for sitting and also for a copy (signed no less!) of his new book of photographs of Ireland. Priceless!



1 comment: